background

Living in the Present ; March 22, 2014

Here's a little update about the happenings in my life...

For the last few months I have been substitute teaching at the school I went to from 4th-12th grade. On January 27th I got a long-term sub position in 4th grade. After a month, it turned into an opening, so I applied for it, and they asked me to stay. So I have a full-time job through the end of May. As a 4th grade tutor, I work with two of the 4th grade teachers. I help out in their classes by working with the students, as well as grading papers, making copies, and working on projects for the classroom. I also monitor recess and lunch, and for one hour a day I do reading groups with a 2nd grade class. I am really enjoying this job and all the friendly people I get to work with. I'm thankful for the opportunity to come back and work at the school that invested so much in me from elementary school all the way through graduation!

I like being back home too. Things are different with not many of my high school friends still around, but I've been making new friends. In November I started going to a small group led by a friend who I met in Mozambique last summer. She, like me, came back home from Harvest School and longed for a similar community to "do life" with, to pray for the city, and to do ministry together. So she started this group for anyone with the same heart. We worship and pray together, praying for revival in the city and for each other in all our different spheres of influence. We've also been partnering with different outreaches and churches in the city.

Here's some of what I've been learning...

God has been teaching me to live in the present. It's easy to think back on my time with Iris in Mozambique and Nepal, and even back on being a JBU student, and be sad that it's over. But He's been showing me to be grateful for those times and remember them with joy, but not to dwell in the past.

It's also easy for me to think too much about my future, wondering when I can go to Latin America again and how to get there. But the Lord is reminding me that although that is a dream and calling He has placed in my heart, He has also called me to live like a missionary wherever I am. He wants me to learn to be a missionary in my hometown before He sends me overseas again. This is a season for me to be established within a community and a church, and to love people in the mission field He's put me in - the school I work at and the city I live in. I don't need to know exactly what's coming next and when. All I need is to live with joy and gratitude for today, and use today to love the people around me with the love the Father has given me.

"How could we endure to live and let time pass if we were always crying for one day or one year to come backā€”if we did not know that every day in a life fills the whole life with expectation and memory and that these are that day?" ~ C.S. Lewis, in Out of the Silent Planet

3:18 PM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (0)

Previous Post Next Post