background

Doing A New Thing ; March 5, 2013

"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland..." - Isaiah 43:19

I remember someone saying last semester that you have more freedom when you graduate from college than at any other time in your life. It's true. Until this point in my life, I've mostly been limited by being in school. But now that I'm done with college, the possibilities are endless.

My natural instinct is to be nervous about it. With so many options open to me, and with the ability to choose what I will do, how do I know I'll choose the best or the right option?

But God is putting a new attitude into me. Instead of worrying about which direction to go, I am trusting Him to lead me. What an incredible blessing—that I have the freedom to go with God wherever He takes me! What a blessing that I even have the resources to be able to follow Him! What do I have to be afraid of? I can trust the Lord, because He is good! Wherever He goes, I'll go—and He's taking me on a grand adventure with Him.

And in the last few months, He has made my next step very clear. I've known that I want to go into missions for a few years now, and my major in college was geared towards that. I definitely learned a lot about missions... but it was mostly just the principles and ideas of missions. I haven't yet had an opportunity to put what I've learned into practice (except for some of the things I did in Ecuador). Also, my relationship with God and spiritual life grew exponentially in college, but not really because of my classes. So what I feel a lack of is an integration of all three areas—the principles and head knowledge, the putting it into practice, and the spiritual growth.

So... that's what the next step is. God has made it very clear to me. There is a 3-month missions training school in Mozambique called the Harvest School of Missions. And of all the missions schools I've heard of, this one stands out for its emphasis primarily on love for God, and love for the poor. During the school, worship and classes and ministry are part of the daily schedule. This will be a time when I can love orphans and widows and the poor, soak in God's presence, and learn about missions principles all in the same day.

This is the new thing that God is doing! People have told me that this school will completely change my life. I'm ready to be changed. I'm ready to experience the heart of God in a deeper way. I'm ready to reach out to people in need with the power of His love. And I'm ready to follow Him wherever He takes me. :)

So stay tuned, folks... the school is this summer! God is doing a new thing... and even now it springs up! :)

10:38 AM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (1)

Blogger Corrie Slaight wrote:

this seriously makes my heart jump with happiness! I can't wait to hear about EVERYTHING! I will be praying for you throughout this whole process!!! xoxo!

Previous Post Next Post