background

God Never Hurries ; January 17, 2012

I read something very thought-provoking today, in The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer:

"How completely satisfying to turn from our limitations to a God who has none. Eternal years lie in His heart. For Him time does not pass, it remains; and those who are in Christ share with Him all the riches of limitless time and endless years. God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which He must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves. For those out of Christ, time is a devouring beast; before the sons of the new creation time crouches and purrs and licks their hands. The foe of the old human race becomes the friend of the new, and the stars in their courses fight for the man God delights to honor. This we may learn from the divine infinitude."

I only have one week until I get on the plane to Ecuador. It sure feels like a deadline. It feels like there is still a lot of scrambling to do to get ready. My mom and I spent 4 hours yesterday shopping for last minute things like a rain jacket and good walking shoes. And I have yet to start packing. That will take a lot of time.

But it's a good reminder that it's not really a problem at all. I don't have to worry about getting everything done because God is on my side... time is on my side. God isn't in a hurry, so why should I be? God has no limitations, so all I have to do is trust and depend on Him. My life is already hidden with Christ in God. It's time for me to set my heart on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. (Colossians 3:1-3.) He's in control... and my life is now embedded within His eternal, infinite, self-existent life.

Still, it doesn't feel quite real that I'm going to South America for 3 1/2 months. I keep thinking it won't feel real until the plane takes off... and that's probably true. :)

11:31 AM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (0)

Previous Post Next Post