background

God's Love for the Weak ; September 30, 2010

Hi there! I just feel like writing a blog post. It's the middle of the semester and classes and activities are busy as ever, but luckily I don't have very much homework due tomorrow, so I have a mostly free evening.

God has been teaching me a lot lately. Last night at a small group I go to, He gave me a new revelation of His love. I just love it when He does this because it is always growing - that is, my knowledge of His love is always growing, which means that my love for Him is always growing. Sometimes there are long periods of time when I go without feeling His love, without experiencing it, but then He encounters me once more and blows my mind with the radical immensity of His love, compassion, mercy, and grace towards me, towards everyone on this planet.

This time it was a renewed realization that Jesus loves us when we are weak, when our prayers have no faith in them, when we don't even feel like talking to Him or when we feel too weakened by circumstances to give our attention to Him. When we can't gather up enough faith to even pray, and we can only weakly look at Him, He is ravished by our weak glance and says, "Turn your eyes from me; they overwhelm me!" (Song of Songs 6:5) He is so humble, and He makes Himself vulnerable to our love for Him. And yet, when we do not pay attention to Him or are too busy with life to set aside time with Him, He says, "Show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely." (Song of Songs 2:14) He longs for our love and attention, because this is what He created us for - to love Him! As Misty Edwards's song "See the Way" says: God is a Lover, looking for a lover, so He fashioned me. God is a Lover, looking for a lover, so He formed my heart!

He is tender, yet fierce; His heart is moved by our love, and at the same time He is jealous for our love and will not tolerate us giving our wholehearted devotion to anything else. He has made Himself humble and vulnerable, yet He is the King of kings, the majestic God of the universe who made Himself weak and lowly, taking the very nature of a servant.

Over and over again this week, my mind has been turning back to Jesus' words in Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

And so I come. In the midst of my classes and all my responsibility for learning course content from my textbooks and professors, I come and learn from Jesus. For He is the gentle and humble Teacher, the Rabbi, the One who gives me rest.

6:47 PM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (0)

Previous Post Next Post