background

A Monumental Month ; November 30, 2008

Mood: exuberant
Listening to: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron soundtrack
Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Problem of Pain (both for school)

Wow. All month without a blog post! Yes, it has been a busy, eventful November. Most significantly, I won NaNoWriMo! Second year in a row! The month was exhausting but rewarding at the end—because all my hard work resulted in 50,073 words of a novel. However, my novel is miles from being finished. The story is about 70% done, maybe 65%. But I think this story is worth more effort. It turned out better than I expected, and it's worthy of being completed! Also, I know that at the beginning of the month my big goal was to write "The End" before December 1. Well, since that didn't happen, my new goal is to write "The End" before January 1. Which means I have all of Christmas break to add about 30% more of the story. I can do it if I set my mind to it. :)

I also got a MacBook this month! It's my graduation present from my parents (they gave it to me early). I love it so much, and it is so much fun to play around with, and it is so much faster and easier than the eMac I've been using for the last couple of years. Hooray!

Other big things this month: of course, Mr. President-elect Obama. Not the result I was hoping for. But a funny thing happened: the day after the election, that Wednesday night at my youth group, we all prayed for Obama. Honestly this was a surprise to me because I hadn't really considered praying for him. But prayer is all we can do now...praying that he makes the right decisions, praying that God would actually guide him, praying that somehow God's will for America would be done through Obama as president. And praying that Congress will not pass the Freedom of Choice Act, because Obama said it's one of his first priorities to sign it into law. But God is stronger, and God is larger than all of that, and He has the power to change things. We just have to have faith that He will. (I have some opinions on the "separation of church and state," or how God and the government interact. I might write a blog about that some time.)

On a lighter note, this month I read Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, the first two books of C. S. Lewis's space trilogy. Wow. I'm really bad at writing book reviews...I can never come up with anything better to say than "I liked it." So, yeah, I liked them. A lot. I think I liked Out of the Silent Planet more for its imagery and ideas, with the introduction to a new world, but I liked Perelandra more for its theological concepts. Some day soon I will have to start reading That Hideous Strength, the third one, but it seems like I never have time to read books for leisure any more!

I think that's all of the big things from my November. More posts soon—now that I'm not writing 1,667 words a day, I have more free time! :)

12:48 AM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (0)

Previous Post Next Post