background

Reflections on Madeleine L'Engle ; September 18, 2007

Mood: sad, but hopeful
Listening to: Sound of Melodies (album) by Leeland
Reading: nothing really

Today I found out that Madeleine L'Engle died on September 6. It was an odd surprise because a girl in my art class was reading a magazine and said loudly with a small amount of astonishment in her voice, "Madeleine L'Engle died!" Most of the people in the class said, "Who's that?" But I gasped more loudly than I realized. "No way," I said in disbelief. Nobody noticed that I was instantly subdued...nobody heard me say, "That's an emotional thing for me..." I got quiet and thought a lot about Ms. L'Engle while I was working on my art picture.

My favorite, most beloved author. (Although I still can't decide between her and C.S. Lewis. The universe and time travel vs. the alternate world of Narnia...hmm.) When I read A Wrinkle in Time for the first time in 5th grade, a permanent affection for her beautiful works was born in me. Her books have always challenged me to think about the grandness of the universe, and about the place of humanity, and me personally, inside of it.

A Swiftly Tilting Planet has always been my favorite from the Time Quartet. The courage required of Charles Wallace to undertake a quest to save the world from deadly war. The countless connections between history, now, and the future. And of course Gaudior the unicorn, and little unicorns hatching on their unicorn planet. And that unforgettable image of the entire universe in an eternal, beautiful dance and song of praise to the Most High God.

My thoughts now are, that Ms. L'Engle is witnessing and participating in that dance now, as she has been taken by God to live with Him forever. She's finally seeing the seraphim, the cherubim, the Mrs. Whatsit creatures, and all the stars known by name that she once wrote about.

Now I feel like I want to read every single book she ever wrote. I find it kind of disappointing now that I actually did start reading Walking on Water this summer, but set it down after Chapter 1, where my bookmark still remains. I guess I'm not the biggest fan of nonfiction, but I'm sure it will still be good, so I am going to read it. :D

So, I was sad for a while about her death (which was by natural means, by the way), but now I feel hopeful, and grateful to God for heaven...for eternal life.

I could write SO much more about these thoughts, but this post is getting too long. :)

Here's a good article about Madeleine L'Engle.

10:56 PM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (0)

Previous Post Next Post