background

Jesus and Socrates ; September 17, 2007

Mood: content or generally happy (or both)
Listening to: All Of The Above by Hillsong United
Reading: Big American Lit textbook. Like three thousand pages big.

Have you ever read a novel in Spanish? Well, neither have I. But today in my Spanish class, we started reading a novel called El Alquimista, which means The Alchemist. Bwahaha. Spanish, however, is not the topic of this post.

WARNING: this post may contain analysis of historical literature and complex philosophical ideas! (or, beware of Sarah's overactive mind)

Like I said before, I just finished reading tonight's assignment in the American Lit book. It was a section of Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, and he was talking about his Endeavor to arrive At moral Perfection. (Yes, I find it amusing that he capitalized random words all the time.)

Then he listed 13 virtues that he wanted to obtain, none of which mentioned any religious ideas, until the last one. It said, "13. Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates."

At that I sort of laughed. How odd, I thought, that he grouped Jesus and Socrates together. And that he put imitating them so low on the list. To be honest I know very little about Socrates, but I can assure you that Jesus was a far more important man than he was. Jesus taught eternally valuable ideas. Socrates didn't even believe in God. I don't quite see how they can be grouped together.

Then Franklin went on to say a couple of ideas that I found interesting and amusing. "In reality there is perhaps no one of our natural Passions so hard to subdue as Pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive, and will every now and then peep out and show itself. You will see it perhaps often in this History. For even if I could conceive that I had completely overcome it, I should probably be proud of my Humility."

I thought it was...curious. Make of that what you will.

4:58 PM  |  

post a comment (opens in a pop-up window)

Comments (0)

Previous Post Next Post